My photo
I been a professional photographer since I worked for the US Government documenting Test and Evaluation of Research and Development projects for the US Army and US Navy in the later half of the 1980s. I came home to Maine to finish my Marketing Degree at USM and began to work full time in Market Research and Marketing for many years while documenting weddings and occasional photojournalist and commercial jobs on the weekends. In 2001 I again returned to photography as a full time trade and have never been a happier man. I love working with creative individuals, couples, small businesses and select Non-Profits and can’t imagine working in any other trade. In 1987 I was lucky enough to wed my high school sweetheart and we now live in a cozy little solar powered, recycled bungalow a mile deep in our woods in the Western Hills of Maine with our two brilliant home-schooled teenage daughters and our three cats.

20051008

PAW 2005 - Wk 39 - Fryeburg Fair


We attended the 154th Annual Fryeburg Fair on Woodsman's day this last week. Other than the four years that I was away from Maine while enlisted, I've never missed going to the Fair. (It usually coincides with my birthday.)


A flower auction in one of the Expo buildings.


This guy is a Fryeburg fair staple. He's had a presence at the fair for as long as I can remember. He also used to have 'infomercial' selling his very well made stainless steel cookware on local TV when I was very young.


We stopped to have a bite to eat. Evil food is half of the fun of any fair.


Beth having fun on one of the kid's rides.


Both Nick and Beth as they leave the funhouse.


My friend Joel Tripp is a curious artificer and cunning worker in metals. He gives a demonstration of his considerable skills at the forge every year as his brother does the same in the woodworker's lot just out side of the forge. All in all it was a good fair this year. The weather was a bit too warm for a harvest season fair, but I'm anxious for a killing frost soon to kill out the remainder of the mosquitoes which may be carrying EEE this year.

All of these photos were made on a sample roll of Fuji's new Pro160S in my ancient 1949 Leica IIIc and a Summarit 50/1.5 lens.

I like working this way as I meter a scene with my handheld DigiSix meter and then set the camera up for the next average shot. If the light changes appreciably, then I modify my exposure otherwise, I concentrate on getting a good focus and composition. The IIIc is not a fast use camera so I'm particularly proud that I was able to get the shots of Beth on the fast moving ride in tight focus even after all of these years now of relying on fast auto focus to do the work for me!

No comments: