My photo
I been a professional photographer since I worked for the US Government documenting Test and Evaluation of Research and Development projects for the US Army and US Navy in the later half of the 1980s. I came home to Maine to finish my Marketing Degree at USM and began to work full time in Market Research and Marketing for many years while documenting weddings and occasional photojournalist and commercial jobs on the weekends. In 2001 I again returned to photography as a full time trade and have never been a happier man. I love working with creative individuals, couples, small businesses and select Non-Profits and can’t imagine working in any other trade. In 1987 I was lucky enough to wed my high school sweetheart and we now live in a cozy little solar powered, recycled bungalow a mile deep in our woods in the Western Hills of Maine with our two brilliant home-schooled teenage daughters and our three cats.

20050627

PAW 2005 - wk 25 - America's Stonehenge

To celebrate the Summer Solstice this year, my family and my Grove headed down to North Salem, NH to visit "America's Stonehenge!"


Quite probably the oldest neolithic construction in the the US, (oldest found so far at least) this series of field stone chambers, cubbyholes, tables and astrological calendar was built by the humans who lived in these hills of granite 2000 years before Yeshua called Christ walked the Earth. (Yeah, that's over 4000 years ago!)


While a bit touristy now with the requisit (but cool) gift shop that funds the privately owned site's upkeep, the site itself is still amazing if you are at all interested in neolithic construction or the mystery of who the first North Americans were. At the very center of the site on "Mystery Hill," it this huge stone table with what appears to be a drainage groove carved around the edge. I've Photoshopped out all of the fences and people inthe background of this photo to better visualise the remains of the site that once was. Was this an ancient food preparation table or a 'sacrifical' altar? No one alive really knows. We can only make educated guesses.



Another small cubby chamber. Several of the chambers are tunnels, large enough to travel through standing upright. Did they have some ceremonial purpose, some practical purpose or was all of this construction just some group's lifetime hobby?



Here are some of the folks who came to watch the sun set behind the pointed stone in the center/back ground of this photo. My dear friends and family are immediately in the foreground sitting low so as not to obstruct other viewers line of sight. (I'm standing with my back to a tree just to the side of the line of sight for the same reason.) This year, Sol dipped behind low laying clouds on the horizon just before the point that its light would hit the stone, but it was a brilliant sunset anyhow and no one was really disappointed.

(Nikon D70 and my new Tokina ATX 12-24/4...great lens.)

No comments: