My photo
I been a professional photographer since I worked for the US Government documenting Test and Evaluation of Research and Development projects for the US Army and US Navy in the later half of the 1980s. I came home to Maine to finish my Marketing Degree at USM and began to work full time in Market Research and Marketing for many years while documenting weddings and occasional photojournalist and commercial jobs on the weekends. In 2001 I again returned to photography as a full time trade and have never been a happier man. I love working with creative individuals, couples, small businesses and select Non-Profits and can’t imagine working in any other trade. In 1987 I was lucky enough to wed my high school sweetheart and we now live in a cozy little solar powered, recycled bungalow a mile deep in our woods in the Western Hills of Maine with our two brilliant home-schooled teenage daughters and our three cats.

20050124

Pinhole Photos

Just for fun, I purchased a pinhole 'lens' this week. Basically this 'lens' affords me the ability to turn my $3200 Nikon Digital SLR camera into a pinhole camera. For those of you who aren't photo enthusiasts, the irony here is that pinhole cameras have traditionally been built of such quality materials as used Quaker Oatmeal boxes! The 'lens' was only about $30 including shipping and offers a 50mm view (75mm on my DSLRs) and ONE aperture of approximately f/180. That's a LOT of depth of field and given how soft the images are from this lens, all of that DOF is needed!


(For those who care: Nikon D70 @200 ISO. Finney Pinhole Body Cap. f/180 @ 2 seconds. mounted on Gitzo Explorer G2220 tipod. Toned in PS.CS)

After playing with this for a few hours and being disappointed (no, I don't know what I was expecting) I am hoping that I will be able to use it for some cool smooth water blur effects when the moving water in Maine is, well, moving again after mud season.

No comments: