My photo
I been a professional photographer since I worked for the US Government documenting Test and Evaluation of Research and Development projects for the US Army and US Navy in the later half of the 1980s. I came home to Maine to finish my Marketing Degree at USM and began to work full time in Market Research and Marketing for many years while documenting weddings and occasional photojournalist and commercial jobs on the weekends. In 2001 I again returned to photography as a full time trade and have never been a happier man. I love working with creative individuals, couples, small businesses and select Non-Profits and can’t imagine working in any other trade. In 1987 I was lucky enough to wed my high school sweetheart and we now live in a cozy little solar powered, recycled bungalow a mile deep in our woods in the Western Hills of Maine with our two brilliant home-schooled teenage daughters and our three cats.

20050130

Blue & Gold


(For those who care: Nikon D70, 200 ISO, 1/750 @ f/6.7, Nikkor 24/2.8)

Most people think of winter as a drab and colourless time in Maine. Sunsets like this one over the finally frozen and mighty Sebago Lake prove false that notion. Summer and spring are the more monochromatic seasons in Maine to my way of thinking. Everything is brown and then green in profusion. Of course, our Fall season calls out to people all over the globe for its huge pallete of brilliant colour, and I really like trying to photograph it in new and unusual ways (and I end up with the same leaf peeping shots that everyone else gets more often than not.) But WINTER!... Ah, winter is all about Blue & Gold for me. The sunsets are spectacular in their warmth especially when reflected off the multiple shades of blue that the snow throws back at the sky. It really has my attention this year.

About the place: Sebago is Maine's second largest body of fresh water and she is the source for the state's largest 'city' of Portland...Sebago is pronounced as ... S'Bay-Go. I am blessed to live in the western edge of the realm in Maine on the other side of the lake from Portland so I get to pass it on the way in town and back home again, whenever I head to the metro area. Like all living bodies of water in Maine (well I guess anywhere really), the lake is a constant source of beauty and inspiration for me.

Here is a second shot taken a few moments later. It seems that someone else had been inspired by the lake. In the cleft of this rock, was a gold coloured vase with bright red and white flowers. I thought it an interesting offering to the spot so photographed it with the sunset in the background. Sol was emmiting a really neat vertical ray from the horizon too. Like most good photography, more right time, right place than any hugely perfected skills. :)


Same exposure details as photo above except I added Fill Flash for the rock.)

No comments: