My photo
I been a professional photographer since I worked for the US Government documenting Test and Evaluation of Research and Development projects for the US Army and US Navy in the later half of the 1980s. I came home to Maine to finish my Marketing Degree at USM and began to work full time in Market Research and Marketing for many years while documenting weddings and occasional photojournalist and commercial jobs on the weekends. In 2001 I again returned to photography as a full time trade and have never been a happier man. I love working with creative individuals, couples, small businesses and select Non-Profits and can’t imagine working in any other trade. In 1987 I was lucky enough to wed my high school sweetheart and we now live in a cozy little solar powered, recycled bungalow a mile deep in our woods in the Western Hills of Maine with our two brilliant home-schooled teenage daughters and our three cats.

20050324

March Turkeys - 2005 PAW - Wk 11


(Canon SD300. Manual mode. -2/3 exp. DOF added in PS.CS)

I have picked up an Canon SD300 point and shoot camera that I can keep with me at all times. I pretty much have carried a camera everywhere that I go since I became a photographer nearly 20 years ago now. One of the very first things that I learned in Photography School in 1985 is that if you don't have a camera with you when you see that once in a lifetime shot, then you absolutely have no chance of getting the shot. The SD300 is even better to carry everywhere than the Canon G2 that I used to have as a digital P&S. It is less than half the size of my PDA and still has a better 4MP sensor than the G2 had. It has virtually no direct control of aperture or shutter speeds, but with creative use of the several options that it does offer (a number of slow synch flash modes, and +/- EXP settings in Manual, several WB options etc...) and with PhotoShop I can control the image enough for my liking. I do wish that I could also shoot RAW with it for even more post processing control, but the Large SuperFine JPEGs seem to offer up enough information that they can be processed to my workflow without loosing too much detail.

Of course, this is not a camera that I'd shoot a wedding with, but when I've found myself tired lately of even carrying my small (but heavy) Leica M4P. If we go out to eat, my camera is always on the table in the way and with the cost of all of my cameras it makes me nervous to leave them in the car at all. I probably should see a therapist about this, but the thought of leaving the house without a camera bothers me. I almost always see something that I kick myself for later when I don't take a camera with me.

So anyhow, I have a tiny camera with me now everywhere I go that is pretty much capable of not getting in my way when I want to make a picture of something.

These are a few of the many many turkeys that are to be found now all around our 'neighborhood' now. When I was a kid growing up here in Maine, I never actually saw a wild turkey even though I've lived in or newar the woods all my life here in Maine. Ever. It wasn't until about 6 years ago or so that their population really has made a come back. They are not the brightest of beings on the planet, but they are often fun to watch.

No comments: